Saturday, March 19, 2016

Spring Thrift Store Finds

Mom and I went thrifting today, me on the hunt for shoes, pants, and tops that don't wrinkle and would pack small/travel well.  I found all of the above!  Other than Mom bending over to pick up a dime in the middle of the street and almost getting run over we had a great day.

At my #1 thrift store where the regular price of a top or pair of pants is $3 I found these 3 pieces:
Ellen Tracy top $3


When I shop for thrift store clothing I look at labels - not because I care what label the clothing is but sometimes it is a sign of quality.  The leopard print top is Ellen Tracy which is carried by the Bay or Nordstroms.  It folds up into a small square, does not wrinkle and surprisingly looks really good on, strange since I don't normally go for leopard print.  It is destined to travel to Spain with me at the beginning of April.

Old Navy Blouse $3

I don't love Old Navy and normally steer clear of their clothes as they are not always that well made - but this Springy top was in brand new condition and in my favorite Coral colour so made it into the basket.

Liz Clairborne capris $3

These capris look faded but they are not - that is just the style.  I do not wear dresses or skirts and really don't like the look of my legs so in summer mostly wear capris and sandals.  This will be a nice addition to my wardrobe.

I love that thrift store!  All appear as if they have never been worn.  Possibly never even been washed - but they definitely will be washed and hung to dry which helps extend the life of any type of clothing.  It just goes to show that you can find really nice pieces of clothing for pennies on the dollar if you are inclined to do so.  My entire wardrobe except socks and underclothing now comes from the thrift store - because once you go thrifting you never go back to paying retail prices unless you either REALLY are in love with something or YOU JUST CANT FIND IT in a thrift store.  The last new piece of clothing I bought was a year and a half ago and it was a winter coat because I could not find a decent one.  Since then I have found several nice Spring jackets at the thrift store and that same coat is still in use for the coldest of weather.

Next we stopped at a Sally Ann.  I didn't find any clothing but I did find these Joseph Seibel leather Mary-Janes which are size 39 European or 8 Canada which is just my size.  They are ultra comfortable.  I have always wanted a pair of Joseph Seibel but these likely would have been $100-$200 new they are way out of my pricepoint.  I am not sure I am a Mary-Jane type wearing girl but I am willing to give it a shot for these shoes.  As always I only buy shoes that are in like-new condition and they are thoroughly cleaned on the inside with disinfectant when I get home due to the heebeejeebee factor.

Joseph Seibel Leather Mary-Janes $8

And finally, if there are any mid-century modern lovers out there they would be able to identify this - a Dansk 1950s atomic cast iron taper candle holder - found a few weeks ago at my favorite thrift for a whopping .50 cents.  I kept the tag on to remind myself how cheap it was.  These are pretty collectible and routinely sell on ebay in the $20-$30 range (current ebay listing here-not mine).


Have you found anything great at the thrift store lately?  Please feel free to share in the comment field.  Have a great weekend everyone!

24 comments:

  1. Darn it. I bought some stuff from a thrift store and forgot to post about it. Gave some of it away too.
    It would have been bad if your mom would have gotten hit over a dime. Probably wouldn't have been a thrifty find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't realize there was a big truck right behind her - I was like "what in the hell are you doing Mom?" tee hee

      Delete
  2. Looks like you got some good deals! I love the coral blouse/top, it looks really light and summery.

    I love thrift store finds too!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very light but not see through which is nice. I usually wear a tank underneath them anyway but this one only buttons down halfway so is perfect for that.

      Delete
  3. Your new clothes purchases are pretty and are great bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra - they had just put out the Spring clothes so I think our timing was right.

      Delete
  4. Great finds! I think I would get obsessed with finding bargains if I went to a thrift shop, so I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously need to go. Lots of nice brand new designer clothes - I know you have great taste so could ferret out the best stuff. The thrill of the hunt is the best part!!

      Delete
  5. I love your finds!!! So happy for your trip to Spain! I will totally enjoy myself going along with you via your upcoming blog posts!!!
    WHY would we ever go back to retail????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - you know how to find a great deal at the thrift store too! I love your thrifting posts.

      Delete
  6. GREAT Grab on the Dansk 'SPIDER' candle holder!! They do sell Quick and for good $$ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to collect stuff to resell - wanted to open an ETSY store but Canadian postage is prohibitive so have just let that idea go. Almost all of the stuff I collected I managed to resell for higher but the best stuff (like Holt & Howard) I have kept for myself. I hate to leave great items behind when I see them like that so it had to come home with me.

      Delete
    2. I have two etsy shops and do really well. I am sorry to hear that you cant open one. You would do so fantastic. And its fun!

      Delete
  7. Since I am staying off clothes in general, I have mostly just done quick looks just in case any great buy. Sadly nothing, but I always hope to make a "cash in the attic" type find someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking is most of the fun. Lots of days I walk away empty-handed but thankfully not Saturday :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad your Mum escaped being crushed by a lorry!
    I knew a girl who used to practice purification ceremonies on her secondhand shoe finds. Me, I just buy them and wear them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny - I've never thought they getting rid of the spirits.

      Delete
  9. Great deals as always! You and I seriously need to go thrifting sometime:) I haven't gone since my post about getting the radio for $3 and iPod dock etc at Goodwill. I went with a list and found everything I needed. I'm trying to lose a few pounds so will go once I've achieved that goal, or should I say, IF I achieve that goal! Not long til your trip to Spain!! Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Goodwill, we had it in Alberta but no where near my house. I love finding things you need/want - it's a rarity :)

      Delete
  10. I laughed so hard about the heebeejeebee factor! That is mostly why I don't buy previously owned shoes. I would buy clothes at the trift store but never find my size....oh well! Congrats on your new finds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy used shoes for years but after finding practically brand new ones I got over it - they have to not have been worn more than 2-3 times for me to consider them - thanks!

      Delete
  11. It blows my mind that anyone pays retail for clothing. (beside for undies, socks, bras....) I find items all the time with the original tags still on them. Never even worn and then tossed into a donation bin. We live in a very wasteful culture. My daughter (9) goes to a daddy daughter dance every year. All these parents scramble around at the malls...Paying $60-$90 for a dress that their daughter will wear one time. One time! I always get the cutest dresses from thrift shops. Last year I got a dress, brand new with tags from Limited too. Retail $72. I got it for $2 from the thrift shop. And it was totally cute! Then I had to get her shoes...which are a different story. She is only 9 years old, but she wears an adult size 8....most shoes that size have heels...So I went to Target and still couldnt find anything. But she is so wise, she said, "Im just going to take them off when I dance, and I'll only wear them once. So I just want to get a pair of sandals that I will wear year round and I want to be comfortable. I dont care what anyone thinks" So I bought her a new pair of sandals. sketchers. $29.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stepdaughter is hooked now too - which is a good thing since she is responsible for her own wardrobe now. Your daughter is so smart! If she learns these lessons now she will be so much further ahead of her class.

      Delete
  12. I found a great pot for heating water on the woodstove. It's large and tall and only cost $2.00. Our Hospital Economy Shop has moved into a larger space, but the prices remain low just like before. - Margy

    ReplyDelete