Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Final Piece of the Puzzle - Figuring Out How to Spend on What Makes You Happy

Back patio of happiness

When we visualized our life on Vancouver Island back when it was in the planning stages five years ago it went something like this:
-mortgage free cozy home within a short drive to the beach
-self-employed and make enough income to live the kind of life we want which includes taking time off when we want
-dog
-boat
-truck (to cart boat and dog to the beach)
-have enough money to travel somewhere new at least once per year

That vision changed slightly over the years.  Our home in Alberta had been paid off but was way too big and felt more like a boat anchor than a cozy home.  Plus, we had far too much money tied up in one asset.

When we sold that home we bought our small cozy island pad which was half the size with a manageable back yard and a patio where we could grill to our hearts content.  We banked the difference and most went into our retirement fund.  We set aside some funds to do some minor house renovations as we ended up buying a home way cheaper than initially expected.  Those renovations will likely occur later this year although I tend to want to hold off on them as love peace and quiet versus a home in chaos of renovations.

We tried to buy things used where we could although it is much tougher to find decent used goods here than in Alberta as incomes are lower here and there are more people competing for used goods. As a result when we arrived we ended up buying a brand new patio set that perfectly suited both our lifestyle and our small covered patio size.  I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent on this patio reading, drinking cider, and grilling up dinner.  The cushions are put away now as it is still rainy season here but in a month or two they will get pulled out and used again - in virtually like new condition except a small fixit job I did on one of the cushions when it split on the underside.   There is a bird feeder in this picture (upper right) which hubby gave me for Christmas two years ago.  I love birds and get to sit at the dining room table watching them.  I bought hubby that BBQ last year for his birthday when the old one rusted out on the bottom.  For my birthday last year I really wanted for nothing so asked for a Costco card thinking I would use it for something that caught my eye.  Well, yesterday something caught my eye.

We are the proud owners of two brand new kayaks partly paid for with that gift certificate.  There is only one in the picture but another is resting on top right now until we clean out and reorganize the garage so we can fit two vehicles and the kayaks in it.  We had just been looking at really expensive fiberglass ones on the weekend.  These were 1/4 of the price. We are not trying to keep up with the Joneses in terms of kayaks, and yes, we know the difference between really great kayaks and mediocre ones.  These are definitely mediocre ones  - but we can now go kayaking any time we please, they are 10 footers so can be stacked in the back of the truck with no additional expense of a trailer, and we paid cash for them.  Our way of thinking is that we will use these these for at least two years.  If at that time we wish to upgrade to fibreglass ones we will sell these and have gotten our moneys worth plus some money back out of them as it was $70-80 every time we rented two kayaks for a couple of hours.  The entire goal was a way to get out on the water closer to nature and wildlife.  Before we learned how to kayak we thought that was with a boat - something that costs way more than these in cash outlay, insurance, and ongoing maintenance.

I don't often talk about it on this blog but I actually have a hard time spending money on myself.  Groceries and bills are mandatory but I very seldom spend money - except on travel.  A few years ago I took the plunge and bought an expensive digital camera that has given me thousands of great pictures and hours of joy.  When I look at this kayak I feel the same way - like a little kid with a brand new bike - hours of happiness ahead.  Yes, I purposefully browse the fliers to keep our grocery bill low, don't go to first run movies, scrimp and save on big and little items every day, rarely eat out, and wear a great wardrobe which 99% comes from the thrift store - just so once in a while we can splurge on the things that make us happy.  Those include the island house, traveling, my camera, our new dog Buddy, this backyard patio, and these new kayaks which in a month or two we will be paddling away in.

16 comments:

  1. That is how my parents lived, and had all the money they needed for a wonderful retirement. I try to be frugal, but tend to splurge a bit too often. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately hubby and I have managed always to live below our means - and have a great life doing so which has given us so much financial freedom now - even before retirement. We are spending some money now but see spending less later in life so it all evens out.

      Delete
  2. Oh, kayaks! You'll have so much fun with them..worth every penny.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - going into our 3rd year of kayaking I expect we will be spending lots of time on the water now.

      Delete
  3. A great purchase! We will want to buy kayaks one of these days. I had considered buying TBG one for our anniversary but I knew I'd be facing unemployment in a month. A VP I worked for was going on and on about how I should just buy the best above water fiberglass model and I wanted to scream "I can't! You're not willing to hire me so I don't have the money!" I know he wasn't thinking about that kind of thing, but that is the kind of thing I think of too. I think I'll go the same route as you. Go economical at first, then spend more if we think it will be a long term pursuit.

    I swear we live parallel lives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was $1100 each for the fibreglass ones we wanted or $400 each for these. We chose the cheaper option and will give it a chance. If after a year or two we hate them we will sell them on but both hubby and I are frugal - anything to get out on the water is likely good enough for us. I have a sneaking suspicion these will be used for long-term.

      Delete
  4. What a great purchase! You will get hours and hours of enjoyment out of those kayaks. I would really love to get one that would hold the two of us, our problem really is where to put it on the motorhome when we are traveling and that can be a real issue for us because we don't have a tow vehicle.

    Bring on the nice weather now so that you can get out on the water and enjoy them.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried a kayak for two last year - never again for marital bliss. We are both the kind of person who likes to steer, single kayaks are definitely our thing. Don't buy a kayak for two until you rent one - so glad we did :) lol.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it is all about what makes you happy. Happy kayaking! I've never been near one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should you ever find yourselves on Vancouver Island I would be more than happy to take you - plus we could show you the seals!

      Delete
  6. And you may find those kayaks are just great and keep them longer - who knows? All is unfolding as it should my friend and I couldn't be happier for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing us we will be perfectly happy with them. I am pretty sure we are going to be fine with them long-term but fortunately should we want to sell them on they can be resold for great value = part of the reason we had to buy new as it is really difficult to get your hands on a good used kayak here.

      Delete
  7. How nice that your dream had come together. Now you get to enjoy each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Contessa - life doesn't get much better than that!

      Delete
  8. Good for you. That's what frugality is for. To spend little or no money on things that aren't important so that we can spend money on those things that ARE important to us and bring us job! Good for you! We've been talking about getting Kayaks too, but I'm not ready yet as we still have a little bit of debt we're trying to pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we didn't have the cash for these we would have gone on renting - last year that was the original plan but kayaking is something we love and we get exercise as a side benefit:)

      Delete