Sunday, December 14, 2014

On Holidays

So we are officially on two weeks of stay at home holidays which I wanted to celebrate with these yummy mint chocolate chip cookies.  They taste like an After Eight chocolate in cookie form -  delicious!  I will be making at least one batch every November now as a kick off to the holiday season.  No, my food photos will never be Pinterest-worthy, I am a real life cook/baker and let my cookies cool off on the counter overtop newspaper and the parchment paper they were baked on. Who needs to spend money on cooling racks?
I used this recipe from allrecipes.com, left out the nuts as didn't have any in the cupboard that day and used the mint chocolate chips from the gift basket I won last week.  Family says two thumbs up.

All the Christmas gifts have been purchased (I might get one more for hubby as thought of something last night), house decorated, and turkey is tucked away in the freezer, purchased at .95 cents a pound utility, of course.

Our rain did finally stop, the State of Emergency is  officially over and roads reopened - thank goodness.  Most businesses that were evacuated but not damaged lost two days of trading.  Some homes were damaged but will get some financial relief from the Province (not much but something).  We are under a boil water advisory due to all the water issues of late in our town reservoir so we have been boiling up large batches of water and filling two litre pop bottles so they are handy on the counter - no bottled water here

Off to make some blackberry jam this afternoon with Mom.  I have never made it but today is the day I learn - plus free up some space in the freezer from all the frozen berries.  I hope everyone has a nice relaxing weekend!

10 comments:

  1. What an ordeal - all that rain - so glad it finally stopped! But now boiling water! Yeesh! You must just want to go outside and yell DRY UP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sick of boiling water, it is now the 18th and we are still boiling.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate chip is Wayne's favourite. He makes me bake them over and over again. Once in a while he lets me put M and Ms instead. Notice I say, makes me. I end up eating my share. I was just thinking the other day that the pictures on Pinterest are looking more and more commercial all the time. I like your home baked shot better than those. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go on Pinterest much these days, for that exact reason. Hard to tell what is real life anymore.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love home-made chocolate chip cookies. Mint chocolate chips! I can smell it from here.

    So glad the waters are receding and the damage was limited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I thought they would make it in one piece I would send some to you. Wishing you virtual mint chocolate chip cookies from Santa!

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I've had homemade chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm... wish my x-mas was as easy and "done" as yours. I feel so discordant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something left to do - still have to take the kidlet shopping for her dad. There must be some kind of raw vegan chocolate dessert for you? I feel your pain lol

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you are drying out. LOL
    I think the cookies looked wonderful even though I am a bit cookied out. I'm ready for all the madness to be over so I can sit down and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve a rest - and a big glass of wine (no dryout for you :))

      Delete