Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thrift Store Decorating


Anyone who reads this blog realizes that I am a big fan of thrift stores so my decorating tends to come from there as well.  Here are some recent finds:


Very large bottle.  This is about 1.5 foot high and 1 foot wide.  The opening is stopped by a cork and I bet someone paid a lot more than I did on this as a decorative item.  I have decided to place all my smaller shells and beach glass in it from travels around the world.  As you can see, I have lots of room to add to the collection.  This will live in my second bathroom window sill for sort of a beachy theme along with some larger shells.  Thrift Store cost?  $6.75.  It was a Happy Birthday to me gift a week and a half ago.




The candle was a gift from one of my Stepkids this spring but I needed a pillar candle holder.  This little number does the job well for 99 cents.


I am a sucker for Mexican pottery and glass.  I found this cute little burro a few weeks ago for 50 cents and the glass vase a couple years ago for 99 cents.  That is a succulent trying to multiply.  This little scene lives in my kitchen window just above the sink, but I have so many windows in this house (a good thing!) the only way I could get a decent photo was shooting them away from the light.  I am not a nick-nacky person and tend to rotate the same objects around the house, but once in a while I find something I just have to have.  At these prices, who can blame me?

21 comments:

  1. Last week I picked up a stunning 3 ft tall pottery vase/art piece at the hospital thrift store for three dollars! Habit for Humanity is a great place to go for larger items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get to that thrift store. Is there free parking anywhere there? As it is the hospital the thought of paying for parking there has kept me away. Good find! There are so many artists around here we are bound to find some nice pieces eventually.

      Delete
    2. It is in Powell River and free parking. Unfortunately if you added the cost of the ferry it would not be a deal.

      Delete
  2. I always have a list of things to watch out for at the local thrift stores, but my best finds are the ones that reach out and grab me. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. If I go looking for one thing I tend to find something else altogether.

      Delete
  3. Love your finds! I love thrift stores and yard sales. I'm going to be opening an etsy shop soon. I will be announcing it on my blog as soon as I get things going. I hope you'll stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thrift stores!!! All my best things come from there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you just never know what random item you're going to find! That's why I'm addicted, too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addiction is definitely the right word. I hate regular shopping now but am totally addicted to the thrifts.

      Delete
  6. Great finds! I love thrift stores and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is not to like about thrifts, am I right? Thanks Aggie!

      Delete
  7. I love thrift store decorating! Nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, but you are the Queen of finding great finds at the thrift store and decorating with them.

      Delete
  8. Great finds. I especially love the little glass vase. 99 cents!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that mexican glass. I found a big Mexican glass pitcher this week but I really don't have anywhere to store it so passed on it.

      Delete
  9. I love when you find things that you absolutely love and pay next to nothing for them! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't blame you one little bit! Probably because I do the same thing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to. As my Stepdaughter put it, you start to get used to the great deals in thrift stores then you go to a regular store and wonder why everything is so bloody expensive!

      Delete