Thursday, December 5, 2013

Our First Snow Of The Year


We have finally gotten our first snow of the year.  It only snows here in Comox a few times a year, last year 3 times just around Christmas time.  The temperature is hovering around zero degrees celcius and the birds have decided the best place to hang out today is by our food.  Sorry for such a lousy picture but I took it through our sliding glass door as they just fly away if I get too close.  It is really dark today, this is what it looked like at 3pm in the afternoon.  One bird is hanging off the suet brick knocking bits off and the birds are eating down below.  They don't seem much interested in the seed, only the suet.  These are starlings.  Not my favorite bird, as they bully each other and other birds but so far no feathers have been ripped out and they just twitter loudly at one another.  There are a few other small finches too that have suddenly returned to the feeder, in between the starling visits.  This snow will likely not last more than a day or two.  As an ex-Albertan where there is several foot of snow and much much colder temperatures this is very easy to take.  The only trouble here on Vancouver Island is that many don't really know how to drive when it snows and they act like they are on dry pavement.  The other issue is that we don't have much in the way of snow plowing equipment so usually when it snows most people try and stay off the streets.  I had to go to work this morning but the roads weren't that bad.  It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

25 comments:

  1. Ooooh, lucky you! No snow down here in Seattle. But just maybe, next week . . .I'm crossing fingers and toes for snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wish all of the rest of the season's snow your way - I have had enough already :)

      Delete
  2. Starlings are soooooo annoying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are annoying, but the birds have been few and far between so it was nice to see some feathered appreciation out by the feeders.

      Delete
  3. Starlings are my least favorite bird!!!
    Cold and ice down here in Texas as I write. Not the usual for us since it was nearly 80 degrees here yesterday as we played in the park!
    We noticed all the birds fluttering around the feeders today so we filled them to the brim!! Sitting by the fireplace tonight......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe the ice storm you got Linda - stay warm!

      Delete
  4. Been real cold here actual to cold to snow. Usual we have chickadee hang around. Every so often flock of "grey jay" stop by and munch on the smaller crab apple. Actual they like to wait later on so they can get buzzed off the crab apples....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even saw a wood pecker hanging off it the other day, food must be a little scarce here once it snows :)

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous! It's been a huge weather shift here. It was 70 last weekend,& it was 30 when I walked the kids to school this morning. BRRR!! We're all snuggled up with blankets tonight. This house is definitely not insulated properly for cold weather. I shudder to think about how much our power bill will be this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Electric blankets! Seriously, I love them. Great on the heating bill too.

      Delete
  6. Now that I don't have to deal with it, I can say it looks pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you clamco. Don't miss snow a bit but can say it is pretty when it first falls.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, I know what you mean, but we get so little of it here compared to Alberta. Last winter we hardly got any. It makes putting up the Christmas lights worth it though - they look better with the snow.

      Delete
  7. We had our first snow several weeks ago, but it's not unusual for snow in Ohio! We have starlings too, my least favorite are the crows and bluejays though. The drivers around here act like they have never driven in the snow before, EVERY year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the drivers everywhere are the same! Most people drive like normal then you get the idiot who is speeding around causing accidents!

      Delete
  8. BEAUTIFUL photo. I get no snow down here so it's nice to see it vicariously on blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to experience a snow bound Christmas one year. Not great to have to commute to work in but fun around the holidays.

      Delete
  9. We arrived in Alberta just ahead of a snowstorm. I had never noticed before how long it takes to get all those layers of winter clothes on and off at the beginning and end of an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel like such a wimp now. It will be tough going back to Alberta at Christmas if it is cold, I am hoping for a warm snap of at least a balmy - 10 degrees :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful view. It's so nice to be able to enjoy the snow from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream of one day no snow somewhere like Spain - I am so jealous! You live in such a great place.

      Delete
  11. Wow pretty snow! That is one thing I miss since leaving Seattle--the quick beautiful snowfall, not the piles of snow that seem to last forever and make driving dangerous kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is so pretty. It instantly made everything Christmassy!

      Delete
  12. We've been having some balmy weather lately and our big dump of snow is rapidly melting. The grass is back and only the mall mountains of snow are left. I was sure we were going to have a white Christmas but right now its a tossup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our snow has stuck around for a few days, I even saw a few new flakes tonight! What the heck!

      Delete