Monday, November 12, 2012

Vintage Christmas

First of all, I did not fall off the No More Christmas Crap campaign. I have gazed longingly at baubles and pretties as the stores stock their shelves with Christmas goodies - but not given in to the commercialization. Then came the trip to the thrift store this week - temptation!

Under Section 2 and 7 these items were not purchased brand new but found in a most grubby thrift store and purchased at a fraction of retail cost. Yes, I really don't need them, but I collect vintage Christmas ornaments and have been scouring ETSY and EBAY to steer hubby in that direction for my Christmas present. He shall now have to look at something else as I found all the ornaments below - plus brand new Christmas paper napkins for $1.97. I have no idea how they came to that price as this particular thrift store does not tag items with prices. I had to dig through six boxes to find these mercury glass ornaments - American Picker style. They don't even bother to place some items on shelves at this store, it is a real mess including broken and dirty items mixed in. No wonder I love going there as I find something great every time.

First I found the icicle. I knew it was vintage and where there is one - there must be other vintage goodness!

Oh my, an indent!
Lovely pink and silver joy...
This one reminds me of ones my cat broke when I was a kid.
A lovely pinecone! I had picked one out exactly like this for hubby to buy me for Christmas - for $25 including shipping! No need for that now.
This one is made in West Germany and says so on it's glass topper.

This is my favorite - six indents. Made in Czechoslovakia.
Christmas paper napkins - new in package which I have discarded as was a bit grubby on the outside.

The moral of this thrift story is - these were too cheap to not purchase at less than 25 cents each, and could easily be resold for much higher prices. That, my friends, is how you can LIVE RICH ON THE CHEAP!

Linking up with Junkin Joe at the Cottage Market and Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday.


12 comments:

  1. Great finds - doesn't it make you happy to find something you've been wishing and hoping for.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thrift stores are great places to find treasures...

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am almost always find something great for less than $2

      Delete
  3. Love vintage bargains! Just scooped some lights and beads from ma in law so absolutely thrilled with that. Love your bargains!! Cheers Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shopping family - Mom has already given me all her vintage though :)

      Delete
  4. I love some Xmas bargains! most of my ornements are vintage, they are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you also have some lovely things in your ETSY shop I noticed!

      Delete
  5. Great finds. I love the vintage glass ones too.
    I did fall off the wagon as I found a sweet Santa with a polka dot jacket and hat in the dollar store for a dollar. I couldn't resist the spots, never seen a Santa like that. He will be my only new decoration this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1 qualifies if you buy nothing else - again, this is just about taking a bit of the commercialization out. If you only spend $1 on Christmas Crap this year - think of all the money you will be saving!

      Delete
    2. I will buy nothing else. I have been seriously decluttering my Xmas stuff. I will only add homemade except for this one silly Santa.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful vintage finds! Hope to see you again this week over at Junkin Joe...sending holiday hugs...

    ReplyDelete